I was excited about the project, as I could see great potential for learning, and I have a strong interest in issues of race, class, gender and environmental sustainability. I thought that it would be highly motivating for the children because it was so hands on and local - thus important to them. The outcome, however, was disappointing for me, and I have identified these reasons:
- Being unable to get support from the corporate Relations Manager at trhe Royal Agricultural Society left little time to complete the project. Perhaps if I had known about the project two or three months earlier I would have been able to gather resources more effectively.
- Term four is an incredibly busy term for a year 6/7 classsd. Usually I have no theme in term four apart from Graduation, which is a big event at our school. If I had done this project in term three, I (and my class) would have had more time and energy to devote to it. Also the unit could have been culminated with the Royal Show itself, and maybe our finished piece being displayed here.
- I did not have a good solid idea about where the project was going, and how to go about it. Therefore, the children also felt adrift. Towards the end, I saw a workbook from another class and this gave me a better idea, but too late. I needed a concrete example as a starting point from which I could deviate. I also needed to give the class more guidelines and task outlines to make them feel secure in what was expected of them.
I still think this project has great potential. Next time I do it, I will take into account the above issues and scaffold the children more effectively.