Teacher's Notes (by Pam Tuffin):
All participants were NFS students in 2005. InitiallyI did the radio
play as a carrier project to help with spelling, grammar and motivation
for just two kids.
It was intertwined with sustainability
because thats what the kids were doing in class so it got into their
writing.The two writers talked about marketing both the play and
worms as part of financing their school, and they wanted more use
of worms for the school gardens.
We recorded the play out of hours.
I was doing a unit called 'Children and the Media'..When I told
one boy about an assignment which proposed working with kids as
peers to create some media, he got fired up about it. (He had previously
done some drama with my classes out of school hours. ) He is crazy
about bugs etc so he suggested the worms. A girl joined us as a
co-writer and we did write some at school but there were no stipulations.The
kids themselves decided on what content was 'suitable' etc. They
did the research and I helped them make notes etc- their interpretations
may or may not be accurate!.
The boy writer made the decision to include the other two boys who
joined us for rehearsals (2 of - about 1/4 hr each) and we then
recorded it in Manfred's studio in the Boranup Forest. The kids
were very professional in the studio.They knew I was paying for
the time and so there could be no second chances.They selected the
sound effects.. and they made some.. and others I had to put in
as they d irected. (I had fun doing that!- actually it was all fun!)
After the first airing of the play
at school we had a little celebration at the NFS tree.During the
making of the play, the boy writer and a helper took on the daily
sorting of school lunch scraps to feed the kindy/pre worms as their
part of stewardship of the school.